Tuesday, April 9, 2013

April 9 Breakfast

You wake up and we hang out in bed for a few minutes, then you say "play in room!" which means that I should get up immediately and open the black out blinds so we can start our day. I open them while you hop up and down on the bed. Then you get a book from your book shelf, or ask me to get more books from your closet (even though I've told you over and over again that they're not there anymore). I sit on the bed and you plop in my lap and I read to you. Sometimes I read you a few more books but usually it's just one before you say "go.in.there!" pointing at the bedroom door.

If Daddy is home you rush in there to wake him up. You climb up on the bed and climb over him. Sometimes you ask to see pictures (home videos of yourself) or tell Daddy to "play in room!" and expect him to follow you immediately.

If Daddy's at work we go into the living room to read and you ask for cold oatmeal. You ask for it cold because I've given you leftovers so often now you've come to expect it to be ready instantly and you're no longer interested in cooking it with me. While I'm getting your oatmeal you pick out a book and bring it to me in the kitchen, urging me to read it to you. I bring the oatmeal and your water and put them down by the record player. You carefully pick up your cup and glass bowl, squeezing them together, and walk so slowly to me. We never talk about it but I can tell that you're so proud to be able to carry them together successfully now. You sit in my lap eating breakfast while I read and re-read your favorite books.

No comments:

Post a Comment